Have any of you wonderful folks I’ve met in the adoption blog world had success with creating memory books? It’s one of the projects I’d like to work on in the near future. I want to have one that he can have now- with laminated pages that he can chew on. I want one to give to him later as well. Both will contain pictures and info about our process and how we became a family. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Baby M.
-
After I found out about Z's death, I went into research mode. Many things
happened, and the long and the short of it is that our family now has
connections...
10 years ago
With our two domestic adoptions we had to prepare a profile book for our agency to send out to birth families. We ended up getting at least one copy back with each adoption, which has been great! Each book has the letter we wrote to the child's birthfamily, pictures and information about us - the kids treasure those books! Long explanation - but I think the process will work for a memory book. We basically put together an 8 1/2 x 11-inch simplified scrapbook (colored paper, stickers)- front and back pages, had it color copied, laminated, and sprial bound at a copy place. They turned out great and are very durable, and were easy for the kids to manipulate when they were younger. We still have the originals - it would be easy to transfer them to a different format. Hope that helps.
ReplyDeleteRebecca
I found this book and think that it will be really helpful when making a lifebook for our baby boy. Hope this helps. Lifebooks: Creating a Treasure for the Adopted Child
ReplyDeleteLaura
I made a book for my daughter Maya using Shutterfly. It is an online digital photo book. The downside is you can't place any loose things in it like a traditional scrapbook. For anything loose, I bought a memory box at Michael's which has worked great. Hope that helps and good luck!
ReplyDeleteThere are a few books with ideas for Life Books and they even sell a few now like Baby Books that you can just fill in the information (I am not a fan of these but they are good for ideas). If you contact your county's adoption outreach program there are usually monthly or quarterly Life Book sessions where they talk about them and give you time to work on them...
ReplyDeleteanyway - this is kind of generic but a fair start...
http://www.pactadopt.org/press/articles/lifestory.html