Monday, March 16, 2009

Ouch

This mornings early trip to the UW Medical Center was to the Travel Medicine Service for our travel shots. Yes, ouch. My right and left shoulders are sore. I hope sleeping tonight isn't difficult. The appointment was for a Yellow Fever vaccination, but when we got there the nurse was prepared with a long list of other vaccinations recommended by the CDC to travel to in Ethiopia:
  • Hepatitis A (2001, We went to China)
  • Tetanus/diphtheria (2001, We went to China)
  • Meningococcal meningitis (Part Une)
  • Hepatitis B
  • Polio
The nurse asked lots of questions about what areas we may visit. At best we can only say we don't know at this point. She showed us an elevation map showing areas of higher elevations in Ethiopia, including Addis, that are less at-risk for Malaria. Unfortunately, our boy's place of birth is in Bahir Dar and a lower elevation. If we do decide to to go there, we will need to get a prescription of anti-Malaria pills filled. She recommended Costco for a good price.

The rest of the list of shots follows. The delivery of the Yellow Fever vaccine unfortunately has to be coordinated around a five patient group as the drug makers are not making the live anti-virals in single patient doses. So, a group of five intrepid travelers, including us, will need to reconvene at the Travel Med Clinic a week from Thursday. I am looking forward to this appointment, although inconvenient. Lonnie and I laughed at our visions of one nurse working furiously under time pressure to stick each of us (before the vaccine expired within the hour). Poke. Poke. Poke. Poke and Poke.
  • Yellow Fever
  • Hepatitis A (booster)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal meningitis (Part Deux)
When the nurse greeted us in the exam room, she handed us a thick collection of leaflets she had clipped together. Lots of additional information for us, and for baby too, that is sure to put us into an elevated state of new parent anxiety until we leave.

Um, wow. Who knew disease came in all these interesting colors!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like Bailey is on top of things. No need for concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, my arm remembers these shots all too well! : )
    We actually just went ahead and got everything they suggested just in case... right down to the malaria pills. I'm glad we did b/c we didn't get sick at all. Plus, the hotel in which we stayed during our BF visit was full of mosq. b/c someone had left the window open.
    Congrats on completing this step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OW! I HATE shots! But I know that you guys are looking at it as a small price to pay for the greatest joy of your lives! I love your comment about all the brochures. I was thinking the exact same thing! All the vaccinations sound so daunting to me, but then again, I've never been out of the country except for Canada( which kinda' doesn't count)LOL! Congrats on getting one step closer to the kiddo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the info about yellow fever shots. We were thinking we could get them somewhere close to home (Bellingham) but knowing that the vaccine has such a short date we might have to travel further.

    Glad to hear things are moving along for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, yes, I feel ya. We too had a multitude of shots, including ALL of the ones you mentioned. :)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Blogs We Read