Sunday, March 15, 2009

Black Baby White Hands

I recently finished reading one of the books J gave me for Christmas called Black Baby White Hands:

Black Baby White Hands by Jaiya John: Book Cover

On the whole, it left me with a good feeling.  I learned a lot from the book and it reinforced some of the things that I really want to keep in mind as I become a dad.  There were times though, when reading the book really shook me up and made me question what we’re doing.  Do we live in a diverse enough area?  Do we have enough Black role models in our lives?  Can we raise a Black baby to be comfortable in his own skin?  (I was having lots of anxiety at one point- probably fueled by the fact that I was reading while waiting around to see if I’d be selected for jury duty) 

The book is really well written and is a great chance to see things from a different vantage point.  It’s led to some great conversations with J and friends.  Hopefully, I’ve captured some tidbits that will help us on our journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogs We Read