Here we are counting down the days to our departure... (T) minus 10 days and counting. Lonnie and I are holding it together although the last few days, weeks, have had their challenges. The damned clothes dryer stopped working.L is working his butt off to be able to take a two month leave from work. I have been grateful, more than once recently, that his company provides such extensive employee benefits, but... he has a sh*t load of work right now. Day, night, weekends, he's been working.
I'll be saying goodbye to my colleagues next week--who knew that a part-time gig I took a little more than two years ago would last this long? I quit my last job the day after Bush won his re-election. Yes, I was that pissed about not getting what I wanted out of life. We wanted a family. I also wanted to move to Ireland. So I moped for awhile and then picked up some part-time work.
Today, the kind folks at my office had a lunch in Daniel's honor (I am SO uncomfortable with being the center of attention). I was so touched by their kindness--I think I was having an out-of-body experience. Me? They pooled their money to buy a travel crib for Daniel. I still need lots of practice answering questions about adoption and Ethiopia. They all think he's pretty damned cute and want to meet him. Me too.
Tomorrow there will be a luncheon at Lonnie's work. I'm going in to be there with Lonnie (he hates being the center of attention). We both have nervous stomachs about it. Inside my brain is a loud TV with channels changing on rapid fire: Daniel, lists of chores to do, emotions, Daniel, faces, lists of things to buy, Daniel, kennel reservations, food, laundry, Daniel. I would like a tee shirt that says, "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Could you repeat the question?"
Saturday we'll get together with just a few close friends. I can't wait. This I think I can handle. Family is going to have to wait because we are all perpetually broke and cannot fly in either direction. Lonnie and his youngest brother Jeff have their video chat set up and have been toasting beers while Lonnie puts off work for a minute. I have many things that I have put off I'm sure won't get done before we leave.
Yawn. Time for bed. This day just flew by.
In the midst of all your hubbub, I hope we all can take a nice quiet walk one evening before you go.
ReplyDelete