Sunday, August 30, 2009

Summer Reading

Over the loudspeaker:

"Good Evening Library Patrons: The library will be closing in ten minutes. Please bring your items to the circulation desk. The library will reopen again EIGHT DAYS..."

Hooray for budget cuts (sarc)!

Well I've walked to the library with Daniel and Daddy enough times that we have a nice stash at home. I think I can make it through eight days. I tell you though, it ain't even midnight and I'm mad that the library website is already closed. They said they would close the 31st and that's not for two more hours! Argh.

Just finished reading My Fathers' Daughter: A Story of Family and Belonging by Hannah Pool (2009). I recommend it though she is overly obsessed with fashion and I really just had to skip ahead of pages of narrative about choosing the right outfit and accessories (she's a British fashion writer). However, Hannah if you're reading this, I kept looking through the book for some pictures of your experience of meeting your biological family in Eritrea. None. Wa-huh? I even Googled and still found none. Oh well, I guess that's your privilege... Still a very interesting insight on the experience of having been adopted from Ethiopia and growing up European.

Daniel's favorite book right now is Whose Knees are These? by Jabari Asim (2006). Probably because Daddy gives his chubby little knees squeezes while reading.




4 comments:

  1. How lucky Daniel is to have parents who are passing on the love of reading to him!

    The world has so many open doors when you can read and even more if you LOVE to read.
    Read on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain with the library closing. I'd go through withdrawals (plus, now that I work there, I'd be broke, but I think book withdrawals are worse!)

    Have you guys read "Please Puppy Please" and "Please Baby Please"? Check those out too, they're really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary. Yes, I love those two by Mr. S. Lee. Kadir Nelson has prints for sale on his website! Soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're giving Daniel the gift of loving to read. That was an important gift that I passed on to my son who, like me, is an avid reader. That book looks like fun . . and am loving the way Daddy gives Daniels chubby little knees a squeeze whilst reading. . . bless!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogs We Read