Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK, Jr.

Our home county was renamed in honor of King in 2005. The county unveiled this new logo a couple of years ago. I'm very fond of it. His kind face shows up now on our bus schedules. Occasionally... bureaucrats get it right.

At work, I get to spend hours plugged into my iPod (I also do work that doesn't require 100% of my attention). I have become addicted to NPR podcasts which include some inspired productions on recent American history including the Civil Rights Movement.

North Carolina Public Radio - WUNC produces a program called "The Story" with Dick Gordon. In honor of Obama's inauguration, they produced a three part mini-series on the the Civil Rights Movement called "Dedicated to the Proposition - The March to Equality". Today you can download the last in the series as well as the first and second. I highly recommend subscribing for a daily dose of Americana (narrated by a Canadian, interestingly enough).

American Public Media, of course, produces many public radio favorites. One program, American RadioWorks hosted by Stephen Smith, I also discovered recently though they have been producing this program for years. I would recommend starting with "King's Last March". A word of caution, these programs, however, are sometimes upsetting. I would find a private place before you choose to listen to "Finding Home: Fifty Years of International Adoption".

Thank you Dr. King. You taught us so much by just being you. I can only aspire to have as much integrity as you.

1 comment:

Blogs We Read